Rental Information for a Self-Directed Search
Above & Beyond Relocation Services specializes in helping people buy and sell their homes. For those who choose to rent for a while or forever, as a courtesy, we supply some details for your education and self-directed searches. The information below is quite extensive and will provide you with a good place to start. Please reach out to your Relocation Counselor if you need clarification.
You will want to first read the Rental Information section below before using this Rental Directory. Reading our Helpful Hints is recommended. For information about Apartments, please click here. Our Cost of Living Index lets you compare the cost of living in your current city to Phoenix. To get an idea of rental costs, please check this resource.
Leasing Partners – Phoenix
Fort Lowell Realty & Property Management
3020 E. Camelback Rd. #255
Diana Butler / (602) 441-3492
C, D, PH, SFR, TH – U
Throughout greater Phoenix area
5930 W. Greenway Rd.
Jerry Maliva / (602) 424-4400
A, C, SFH, TH – UF
Glendale, Peoria, Anthem, Surprise, Goodyear, Avondale, Litchfield Park, Sun City, Laveen, El Mirage, Scottsdale, and Phoenix
SGI Property Management
201 E. Lexington Ave.
C, D, PH, SFR, TH – UF
Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Peoria, Glendale, Surprise, Avondale
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR YOUR RENTAL SEARCH
While Above & Beyond Relocation Services does not directly partner with all of these apartment management companies, each has been recommended by professionals in the field.
- Alliance Residential
- Arizona State University Classifieds
- Furnished Finder
- HSL Properties
- Mark-Taylor Communities
- MC Companies
- MEB Management Services
- Rental America Phoenix
- Rent Progress
- Sabbatical Homes Home Rentals, Exchanges and Sitting
Phoenix Rental Information
Rent first. Buy next.
If you plan to rent for two years or less and then purchase a home, we recommend a match with an experienced real estate professional from our team for a real estate area tour and continuous education of our housing market. Please contact Kim Swierczewski to be matched with a real estate professional in the Phoenix area.
What should I do as I begin my proactive rental search?
You are provided with Rental Information for a Self-Directed Search as a helpful gesture. Although we wish we could find and secure a rental property for you, that is not something we are able to do. We are hopeful that the information provided here will be a guide for you to do just that. The rental experts listed above shared these tips for you to keep in mind in your self-directed search:
- In Arizona, there is no one, central inventory and no one person to show rental properties. Frequently visit the websites at the top of this page.
- One needs to be proactive and self-directed, scheduling appointments directly with the property managers and leasing agents for each. Most allow you to schedule a tour on their website and offer self-showings. Property Managers are available to help with questions over the phone. You do not need a real estate professional to rent in Arizona. Describe your leasing parameters as specifically as you can, allowing for some flexibility.
- A rental listed while on your first visit to our city may not be available once you are ready to lease, so plan to choose your rental about four to six weeks before needed. Apartment rentals may be able to be secured further out. Fully Furnished vacation rentals often rent a year in advance for the peak months of January, February and March.
- Peak seasons:
- Furnished rental occupancy occurs November through April, with January through March especially busy. Rental rates can reflect the demand for properties during this time. Off-season rates typically begin in April or May and extend through October.
- Unfurnished rental occupancy occurs April through July, with very limited rent rate differential. This is when the largest inventory of rentals is available and might be considered when planning a move here. It is strongly recommended that one visit a property in person before signing a lease agreement.
- Please consider the locations of schools of interest in relationship to where you may rent. While Open Enrollment allows one to attend a school outside one’s neighborhood school’s boundaries, be aware of deadlines to apply. School start times vary, so check school calendars.
- Each apartment community, property manager and landlord have requirements for leasing. Please expect the following:
- Credit check.
- Verifiable income. Landlords often expect monthly income to be 2½ to 3 times monthly rent.
- Application fee. This could be anywhere from $35-$100.
- Security deposit. These can range from $150 to one month’s rent, required upon move-in with the first (and sometimes last) month’s rent. Deposits for apartment communities and houses vary greatly.
- Cleaning & Administrative Fees are usually non-refundable and range from $150 to $500.
- Pets. It is most likely that you will have to pay a Pet Fee ($150-$500) and Pet Deposit ($150-$500), per pet. Monthly pet rent can range from $15 to $40 per month. Ask at the property about any restrictions on certain dog breeds. There may be a limit on the number or size of pets allowed. Not all rentals are Pet Friendly. Be sure to ask when considering a particular rental.